COVID-19 Update:

City Hall is open by appointment only. Please call (250) 478-7882 for more info.

City of Langford

Live the lifestyle.

Death Cap Mushrooms

1 August 2018

Updated 25 September 2018

The City of Langford has received an advisory letter from Island Health regarding poisonous mushrooms.  

Please refer to the following links and websites for further information regarding the death cap mushroom:

Poisonous Mushrooms Poster

Fact Sheet: Wild Mushrooms May Be Poisonous - BC Centre for Disease Control - June 2018

Death Cap Mushroom Brochure - September 2018

Death Cap Mushroom Risk Advisory Package - September 2018

Click here to see the Island Health: Health Alert - July 2018

Click here for the BC Government Invasive Species Webpage

In conjunction with Island Health, the City of Langford would like to ensure residents are aware of the extremely toxic death cap mushroom (Amanita phalloides), which has been observed in the Greater Victoria area. Currently, the City is not aware of these mushrooms within the City of Langford; however, we would like to bring this notification from Island Health to your attention.

If you believe you have observed a death cap mushroom on your property, you can report it through the invasive species working group  or on the BC invasive species app on your phone iPhone and iPad or Android.

Death cap mushrooms usually fruit in the fall, however intensive lawn watering may cause the mushrooms to grow earlier. Death cap mushrooms were observed growing in the Uplands and Cedar Hill areas by the South Vancouver Island Mycological Society.

If you have eaten the mushroom, go to the hospital and call Poison Control immediately 1-800-567-8911

Facts about death cap mushrooms:

  • Death cap mushrooms are especially dangerous to toddlers and pets.
  • Illness after eating death cap mushrooms is very serious: up to 30% of people who eat a death cap will die.  Liver transplants are an often necessary life-saving procedure. Early treatment in hospital is essential.
  • Gastrointestinal distress (nausea/vomiting) begins about 8 to 12 hours after ingestion.  After up to 24 hours have passed, symptoms seem to disappear and people can feel fine for up to 72 hours.  However, liver and kidney damage symptoms start 3 to 6 days after mushrooms are eaten.
  • If you see death cap mushrooms, wear rubber gloves when removing them, wash your hands thoroughly, package them up with your regular garbage —do not compost or use the food recycle garbage bin — and remember to remove them before mowing the lawn to avoid local spread. 
  • Unless necessary avoid lawn watering to conserve water and to suppress early fruiting of death caps.

Meta Navigation