City of Langford

Live the lifestyle.

Open Fires, Campfires, or Fireworks

Open Burning

Find out more about the Burning Bylaw and if you qualify to burn here.


Find out more about campfires and how to obtain a permit here.


Fireworks sales are now banned everywhere in the region, and in all Westshore communities discharges of consumer (“family fireworks”) are allowed only under permit on October 31 between 5:00 pm and 10:00 pm. Call Langford City Hall for permit and annual Fireworks Safety Course information at (250) 478-7882.

To Obtain a Permit: 

Persons wishing to have a fireworks event may obtain the permit from their municipality:

City of Langford          City of Colwood       District of Highlands    Town of View Royal
877 Goldstream Ave   3300 Wishart Rd      1980 Millstream Rd       333 Island Highway
(250) 478-7882            (250) 478-5999        (250) 474-1773              (250) 479-7322
  • Everyone must have a permit to possess or discharge any fireworks;
  • Permits are issued only to persons 18 years of age and older; and
  • No fireworks or firecrackers may be sold or traded in these municipalities.

Consult the complete bylaw for full information – include permit costs and other requirements – before planning your event.  

PLEASE NOTE:  The issuance of fireworks permits will be contingent on current fire conditions.

Types of Permits:

  1. Consumer (family) and Display fireworks permit - Valid only on October 31st
  2. Pyrotechnic fireworks permit

Fireworks Safety Course:                                                                                                                                   Completion of the Fireworks Safety Course is required for those wishing to obtain a consumer (family) fireworks permit. (Only Valid on October 31st of each year)  

  1. Click here for the Firework Application – Consumer and Display
  2. Click here for the Pyrotechnics Application.

The 2018 Fireworks Safety Course will be offered free of charge at the following locations:




  - Dates to be determined and posted in October 2018

Please note:  The certificate of completion for the Fireworks Safety Course is valid for three years. If you took the course in 2015 you are required to take it again.  If you took the course in 2016 or 2017 you may want to take it again to refresh your safety knowledge, but you do not need to repeat the course in order to apply for a permit. 

Visit the CRD Website for animal-related (dogs and horses) Halloween/fireworks tips.

The British Horse Society out of the UK provides some functional firework safety tips for horses click here to view.

Meta Navigation