COVID-19 Update:

City Hall is open by appointment only. Please call (250) 478-7882 for more info.

City of Langford

Live the lifestyle.

Trees & Trespassing

Citizens frequent call for information about trees and the law. The City does not have a “tree bylaw” although some Langford properties have a covenant on title to protect notable trees. The City does have numerous Development Permit areas where tree, vegetation and land alteration must not occur unless a permit has been issued.

Officers may intervene to stop work in progress and assist the property owner to engage with the Planning Department (250-474-6919) to meet requirements. Property owners are encouraged to always call first to check if a permit is needed for the work they plan.

Trees overhanging a property line may damage buildings or cause heavy cleanup work but these are a private law matter between neighbours and the Bylaw Department will be unable to assist. Trees located within the road right-of-way, however, are a Parks Department concern, so reports or queries may be directed to (250) 391-3162.

Trespass by neighbours, development, or strangers onto private property can be distressing. Trespass is always either a private law or criminal matter and municipal Bylaw Enforcement Officers will be unable to assist.

Meta Navigation