The City of Langford has a number of established committees who provide recommendations to Council related to their various topics. Committee members are appointed to a four-year term at the first December Council meeting following a municipal election.
The Administration and Finance Advisory Committee provide recommendations to Council regarding matters related to Administration and Finance within the City of Langford.
To achieve the above-noted objectives, the Administration and Finance Committee will make recommendations with respect to:
- Contracts, agreements and leases;
- All Administrative or personnel bylaws;
- Administrative policies;
- Computer information software/hardware;
- Municipal Hall;
- Boundary extensions or annexations;
- Tourism and promotion;
- Public relations and protocol;
- Greater Victoria Public Library liaison; and
- Financial plans;
- Fees and charges levied under the Local Government Act and Community Charter;
- Insurance and risk management;
- Property assessments, tax rates and permissive tax exemptions;
- Audit and accounting procedures;
- Grant applications to provincial, federal and other senior government agencies.
A meeting of the Committee-of-the-Whole may be called at any time by the Mayor, and this is usually done for the purposes of discussion and debate.
The Parks, Recreation, Culture and Beautification (PRCB) Advisory Committee provides recommendations to Council regarding matters related to Parks/Recreation/Culture and Beautification within the City of Langford.
To achieve the above noted objectives, the PRCB Committee will make recommendations with respect to:
- Recreation master planning;
- Development and maintenance of parks;
- Recreation project planning;
- Civic properties used for community or recreation purposes;
- 5% Parks dedications or cash in lieu;
- Trail planning;
- Recommend to Council which beautification and/or cultural miscellaneous undertakings are worthy of Council support;
- Arrange for beautification volunteer support;
- Assist the beautification volunteers as necessary;
- Provide beautification/cultural funding within the Committee’s budget if Council approval is received.
The Planning, Zoning and Affordable Housing Advisory Committee provides recommendations to Council regarding matters related to Planning, Zoning and Affordable Housing within the City of Langford.
To achieve the above noted objectives, the Planning, Zoning and Affordable Housing Advisory Committee will make recommendations with respect to:
Planning and Zoning:
- Land use regulatory bylaws and permits – under part 14 of the Local Government Act;
- Development Permits
- Development Variance Permits
- Temporary C/I Permits
- Community and local area planning;
- Comprehensive development planning;
- Fringe area and inter-municipal planning;
- Coordinated planning initiatives for the establishment of a business improvement area and downtown revitalization program;
- Heritage designations and heritage planning;
- Langford Enhancement Society; and
- Affordable housing initiatives;
- Affordable housing amenity fund contribution;
- Affordable housing agreement;
- Affordable housing other contributions;
- Affordable housing policy amendment recommendations;
- Housing design approvals for affordable housing; and
- Selection of purchasers from list of qualified purchasers for affordable housing.
The Protective Services Advisory Committee provides recommendations to Council regarding matters related to Protective Services within the City of Langford.
To achieve the above noted objectives, the Protective Services Advisory Committee will make recommendation with respect to:
- Fire protection and prevention and inspection services;
- Police services;
- Ambulance services (First Responders);
- Emergency and disaster planning;
- Fire services management committee liaison;
- Public health, family court, and social planning;
- Youth liaison;
- Animal control; and
- Building inspection.
The Transportation and Public Works Committee provides recommendations to Council regarding matters related to Transportation and Public Works within the City of Langford.
To achieve the above noted objectives, the Transportation and Public Works Advisory Committee will make recommendation with respect to:
- Transportation network planning;
- Public transit;
- Mosquito control;
- Streets and sidewalks;
- Street lighting;
- Local improvement projects;
- Weed control;
- Municipal yards, public works buildings, and public works equipment;
- Traffic safety and control;
- Off street parking regulations;
- Storm water management and planning;
- Deposit or removal of soil;
- Sewer collection systems;
- Retail water distribution;
- Greater Victoria water district liaison;
- Langford lake advisory committee liaison; and