Like most municipalities, the City of Langford asks that its residents pitch in to keep our community as pristine and safe as possible.
Prepare your home and property for winter, rain and snow storms.
The City of Langford advises that home owners check culverts, gutters, downspouts and perimeter drains around their house to ensure everything is working properly, and free from debris.
The City makes every effort to keep roadside catch basins clear. Residents are requested to help by not depositing debris, leaves or garden trimmings in drainage ditches, and by preventing debris from accumulating against curbs, in gutters or catch basins.
Homeowner Drainage Checklist
- Clear your gutters and downspouts of all leaves and debris. Ensure that they remain clear through the winter.
- Have your drain system cleaned and repaired if necessary. Remember, drain tiles will plug over time with mud, silt or roots, and in some cases, may even fail due to age.
- Ensure that any surface that drains, such as those located at the bottom of driveways and stair wells, are clear of mud and debris and remain clear through the winter.
- Ensure that your driveway culvert is clear (that you can see daylight from one end to the other) and free from mud, debris and rocks through the winter.
- In an effort to be prepared for all circumstances, you may want to consult the Provincial Emergency Program.
Maintenance of culverts located underneath driveways are the responsibility of the individual home owner.
If you notice flooding during office hours on any of the City's roads, please contact the City of Langford at 250-478-7882, or After Hours Public Works at 250-478-7770 during all other times.
For flooding on Trans Canada Highway, Veterans Memorial Parkway and Sooke Road; contact Mainroad South Island Contracting Ltd at 250-391-7310.
Fall & Winter
During winter conditions, the City of Langford needs home owners' cooperation to clear snow and ice from any sidewalks fronting their property. This is common requirement with most municipalities in Canada and assures a safe walkway for you and your neighbours. This seasonal cooperation is required by City of Langford's Traffic Bylaw 33 [PDF - 183 KB].
Please see our Fall & Winter Weather Reminders for further information regarding maintaining your drain and culverts, snow clearing priorities, roadway parking, sidewalk clearing, maintenance of private roads, and winter driving.
Sand and Sandbags
The City of Langford provides sand and sandbags for Langford residents during the Fall and Winter months in preparation for inclement weather. They are available 24 hours a day and sand will be topped up on a regular basis. We encourage residents to take only enough to meet their needs so they are available for others. If there is no sand or sandbags available please contact Fire Dispatch at 250-478-7770. Don't forget to bring your own shovels! Sand will be available at:
- Centennial Park (2805 Carlow Road)
- Firehall #2 (3213 Happy Valley Road)
- Firehall #3 (2872 Sooke Lake Road)
- Millstream Elementary School (626 Hoylake Road)
Click here to view the sand bag location map.
In order to keep taxes low, the City of Langford encourages all residents to care for their boulevards by mowing and picking up litter. We do mow once per year and pickup litter every 30 days once notified by road inspections in these residential areas. We do maintain the boulevards in the commercial areas such as along Goldstream Avenue through the City's Road Maintenance Contract, currently held by Victoria Contracting and Municipal Maintenance Corporation.
Click here to be redirected to the CRD website for the latest information.Go to Top